(an excerpt from the United Way Ottawa website)
IMPROVE CONDITIONS FOR THE CHRONICALLY HOMELESS, FOR YOUTH FACING ADDICTIONS, AND FOR PEOPLE AND FAMILIES DEALING WITH POVERTY, MENTAL ILLNESS AND VIOLENCE.
For many in our community, just getting through the day can present serious challenges. Poverty, mental illness, homelessness, family violence and crime all take their toll.
To help turn lives around, we are focusing our efforts in three areas:
- Helping get homeless people off the streets through housing first initiatives;
- Helping people with mental health and addictions issues get access to the support they need; and
- Providing support and treatment for people and families in crisis.
Helping get homeless people off the streets
Why are we focusing here?
- It costs $100,000/yr to keep someone on the street in health, social service and justice costs. For $18,000/yr you could permanently housing a homeless person.
- By helping get homeless people off the street you’re providing security, quality of life and the chance to address the root causes that led to their initial homelessness.”
Our Community Goal
- Help homeless people get off the streets and turn their lives around.
United Way Ottawa is working with government, stakeholders, community agencies and partners to finalize the measurement that will be used to show progress in this area.
Together, we are…
- Partnering with service providers to deliver supports through a ‘housing-first’ model.