Information and resources:
The value of union membership
If problems occur for managers, they go to Human Resources.
If problems occur for employees, you should go to the union. Your Local 70713 is there for you when it counts.
No member is without a friend.
The local is your resource:
- when personal problems or medical problems interfere with the ability to perform at the same capacity as in the past
- After a lengthy absence, the Local provides assistance to facilitate an effective and safe return to work with the member’s interests superseding the financial interests of the insurance company;
- for information and assistance when situations occur that require impartial assistance through a difficult personal time
- through the grievance steps
- for protection in Duty to Accommodate situations
- for protection when reorganizations occur and tenure is threatened;
- for information and protection when legislative changes occur that threaten a members ongoing livelihood
- when harassment, bullying, discrimination or abuse of authority occurs
Your local is a friend to their membership, no matter what the circumstance is.
All consultations are private and no member information is shared even with members of the Local Executive.
Consultations can occur off-site and even on weekends.
All calls for advice or assistance are answered within 24 hours.
Key Union Victories
- Pay Equity LegislationPay Equity legislation, enacted in 1988, addresses gender discrimination in compensation for work performed by […]
- Why You Should Give Thanks to the Labor MovementThe information below has been borrowed (and altered in some places) from an article by […]
- History of Unions in CanadaLabour unions have existed in Canada since the early 1800s. There is a record of […]
Why Unions Matter
- The Value of Union DuesTimes are not easy financially for anyone and I fully recognize that we need to […]
- When Trouble Hits!Having been a union representative for many years, the number of members who come to […]
- Unions are Still as Necessary as EverArticle written by Troy Bridgeman, a Guelph author and journalist When I was a union […]
- What is the Value of an Active Local for You?What is the value of an active Local for you? Answer: The Local is: The […]
- Paying Union Dues Could be the Best Insurance Plan You’ve GotSome union members complain and resent having to pay union dues and I wanted to […]
The Union of Health and Environment Workers Component provides service to its Locals in the form of advice and representation related to grievances at the National Level. UHEW’s goal is to work in partnership and collaboration with all departments and agencies to improve the quality of life for our members and all employees.
Other NCR Locals
Emergency Distress Lines for Ottawa & Region
Ottawa Distress Line:
Gatineau Distress Line:
Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region